Wednesday 4 January 2012

2011/2012

Happy New Year!

And good-bye to 2011.  It was a good year.

Highlights by month:

January - Best birthday ever!

February - visit Rome and celebrate Brent's birthday.

March - 11 year anniversary and Celia is on her way!

April - Mary Kate turns 9!  Father-in-law visits. 

May - We buy a car! Aunt Allie visits. 

June -Babymoon in the Cotswolds. 

July - George turns 2!

August - spent the month in America.

September - move to the suburbs.  Family friend visits.  College roommate visits. 

October - 9 months pregnant - do not recall. 

November - Celia arrives.  Aunt Kim visits. 

December - Caroline turns 8!  My dad visits.  3 years in London!

A year ago, I would not have guessed I would be writing this from a London suburb and watching a new baby girl sleep.  I hoped she would be on her way but to be nearly two months old - never.  

2011 travel was rather light but still good:  Rome, girl's weekends in Brussels, countryside spa and Bath, Cotswolds Babymoon, Arkansas, Texas, Arizona, Florida and let us not forget the hospital mini-break for Celia's birth - ha, ha.    

The year did not hold much in the way of personal growth (unless the remaining 1.5 stone (you will have to google stone) counts as growth) or enrichment - gestating and lactating was all consuming for me.  The children all grew nicely - I can not buy clothes or shoes big enough or fast enough for them.  I am also having trouble cooking enough food - leftovers are rare. 

Overall the year was good.  Thankfully no bad lows - just regular life of highs and lows - the move, parenting challenges, fun and difficult child stages, minor ailments, saying good bye to friends as they move on to new adventures, traffic tickets, newborn sleep deprivation and visitors.  The best high of all:  welcoming a new baby.  

As I look forward to 2012, I am not making resolutions.  I am blocking the year off as the "year of the baby".  In some ways, I simply look to survive.  But I'd like to do it thoughtfully and intentionally by being the aunt/daughter/friend/sister I would like to have and the mother and wife my family needs.  

If 2011 was not a good year for you, I hope 2012 is better.  May 2012 is full of health and joy for you and yours!

post signature

No comments: