Saturday 5 October 2013

5 on (last) friday ~ take 7

I was ready on time last week except for a final edit...so close...

1.

Pumpkins are here...these are my favorite this year...
 

Though we do not have any on our doorstep because they would rot in a day in this heat.

2.

Celia ~ I have posted many pictures but have not said much about her. In a few words: she is too good to be true. I have loved (almost) every minute of Celia. Admittedly, those four months of waking several times a night were torture after sleeping through the night for a couple of months. But otherwise she has been pure joy. I am so glad we have her. Getting to dress her is a fun bonus! 

3.

Speaking of Celia...seriously?!?


4.

Those people at the Container Store know their stuff. I had a drawer I did not know how to tackle. They had the perfect solution...


5.

FAQ: Does Celia wear cloth diapers?

Most of the time she does. Though I am happy to use disposables when needed. I tolerate cloth diapers. I do not know disposables are "bad" for babies but I know cloth cause no harm. Cloth are certainly extra work. They must be changed more often. I wash them every other night. She uses bumGenuis 4.0 with a liner. She was 6 months old when we started so I bought 12. Usually, younger babies will require either more diapers or more frequent washing. This number of diapers works just right with the washing routine.

bumGenius 4.0

All of the children have used cloth diapers - some more than others. When Mary Kate was a baby I used them exclusively for the first year. I was willing to do almost anything to save money so I could stay home with her. Then morning sickness started with Caroline and something had to give. Caroline used them for a day. Yes, just a single day - again something had to give. George used them 50% of the time. With our travel schedule and his frequent diaper rashes (cream can not be used with microfiber cloth) that was all we could manage. The water and washing machine in London were not the best for these type of diapers. Detergent buildup made them impossible to make completely clean.

What are the cost savings? My rough estimate with Celia is using them exclusively for about 9 months we will breakeven on just the cost of the diapers. This does not include utility or detergent expenses. My best guess is we are about at the breakeven point. When I think disposables cost at least $1.25 a day, I am motivated to use cloth. 

Have a nice weekend!

No comments: